Friday, October 24, 2008

White Sand or Snow?


So if you think this is snow or sand, you are mistaken! Last March Ted, Chris, Becca and I drove down to Alamogordo, New Mexico for spring break. Ted's brother and wife were living in Alamogordo at the time so we decided to combine a spring break trip with a family visit too. While in Alamogordo, we visited this amazing place called "White Sands National Monument," the largest gypsum dunes in the world (275 sq miles). This is where you will find the natural mineral phenomon called white gypsum (salt). Gypsum continuely forms and blows around. You can see the gypsum dunes for miles and miles because it look like a big white desert in the far distance. It's so beautiful that I can't even explain it, you just have go and visit someday. We spent several hours out in the dunes just walking around and taking pictures. Even though it was March, the mixture of sunshine and gypsum made the afternoon quite warm. It felt so good after going through our winter season. I hope we can return to White Sands one day. If you want to read more go to: http://www.nps.gov/whsa/

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun vacation spot
    I will have to take a "drive" and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's something I'd like to see. Is that the spot where lots of people ride dune buggies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People try to drive dune buggies, but it's not legal! It's so beautiful that the tracks left from the dune buggies would be destructive. There is a problem with riders and trying to keep them out of the national park...Ted's brother told him all about it. It's really a breathtaking place to see.

    ReplyDelete