Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Could Be Better Than Coffee & Bakery?

I've been spending time waltzing around Colfax taking pictures of community landmarks and businesses to feature on my new website. My idea is to give a little taste of Colfax to viewers who have never set foot in our village. One of the places I want to feature is my favorite java spot...Cafe 44. I picked this place today because of all the color in this small Internet cafe. I figured some of these colorful photos will jazz up the community page.



Here's the room with all the computers that the public can use, and yes, they are wireless too, so it not unusual to see people in there sipping coffee and working on their laptops.

Besides freshly ground coffee, Italian sodas, and flavored Steamers, there's lots of bakery and beautifully decorated cakes. I love to go in and peek in the cooler case to see what new cakes Lela has made for the week.


Do you know how hard it is to walk into this place for coffee and see the bakery in the display case? Hey remember, I'm a full blooded CURNOW and bakery is in our blood. My willpower is getting better however, but I still look in the case everyday to see what is featured or see what is new. My favorites are Lela's big cookies. Sometimes one of the girls at the library will split a scone or muffin with me...that helps with the guilt trip!!!! Oops, now I'm giving away my secret. Sorry Kris & Kellie!


So what would be your favorite sweet treat?
* Scones
* Muffins
* Apple Fritters
* Fried Donuts
* Snails
* Turnovers
* Cream Filled Bismarks ??????????????

7 comments:

  1. What's a CURNOW? And I would pick
    Apple Fritter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same question. And I would pick scone probably. Or chocolate eclair. or creme puff. or cheese danish. Wait, you didn't list all those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curnow is my maiden name. If you were raised "Curnow" you were raised on bakeries! Even my ancestors owned or worked in bakeries on my mom's side of the family. Ted makes fun of me, but when we drive by a bakery, I nearly jump out of the car to run into the bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should start a little bakery, call it Curnow's and hire Kris to bake lots of sweets and breads. She's really good at specialty breads and whiskey cake, lemon cake, ginger cake, etc. She also makes stuff like spiced nuts, baklava, foam candy, and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a nice place. I've never actually been there yet. Maybe next time I run into Colfax?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Son...I will treat you next time you come to Colfax. They make really good smoothies there too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm.....cream filled bismarks : )
    I laughed so hard at "bakery runs in our blood". It's SO true!! Does that give me an excuse not to feel bad about my love affair with delicious sugary treats?

    ReplyDelete