Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lake Ride




Thank you bike man for caring my bike down a flight of 50 steps to get to Tainter Lake. To my surprise as I headed out a couple hundred feet from our dock, the snow depth went from 2 inches to about 4 inches....my wheels bogged down and my quads said "no way Lis." I turned around and decided to ride along the shoreline instead. Since this is my first snow ride, I wanted to acclimated myself to less snow verses more snow.
I was able to ride a good distance along the shoreline, like maybe 50-75 ft out. Any further than that and the snow increased, mainly do to that blowing snow we had two weeks ago. I kept riding until I came to the first island...that was my turnaround point. Maybe next time I'll keep riding to the second island.
Eventually, I want to be able to ride around both islands and the bay west of us. Guess I'm counting on snowmobilers breaking a few trails to make it a little easier.
One concern however, I hit a spot of wet slush underneath the snow and ice....you can't see it. That's the one problem with lake ice. Sometimes the pressure of the ice will force water over the ice through cracks in the ice and you can't see it until you walk or ride over it.
I'm playing it safe and not venturing too far out until we get some more really cold weather. I think the ice level on the lake is maybe 9 inches, but bike man found some areas with less ice due to the slush....very weird.
Don't worry Mommoo, I'm always careful.
I was only outside for about 1 1/2 hours, but I think the cold air was good for my head cold. My sinuses opened up like a floodgate! Oh Yeah.


6 comments:

  1. You are a die-hard biker. I see a few bikers on my way to and from work and I can't help but wonder if you all aren't just a wee bit crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean you ride "on" the lake? I would be sooo afraid to do that... Oh, please, please, be careful.
    Your photos are very good...!!
    Be careful, Lisa.
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. PAK ART is right, anybody that would ride a bike in this kind of weather is just a wee bit crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better and brave !
    wow, I could never ride my bike on the lake...heck, I never ride a bike on the street...who am I kidding ?

    we were on the lake this weekend...I was taking photos of the ice fishermen....and their kids....way fun but cripes, cold !

    obviously our ice is thick thick thick !!

    and on my blog....that photo is just from a children's park not far from the pastry shop you visited while in madison.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie...yes, we ride on the lake when the snow isn't too thick. By January we should have nearly a foot or more of ice so it's very safe.

    Beth....thanks for letting me know about the park. I think I remember that park.

    ReplyDelete