Sunday, December 21, 2008

It Really Was Frigid Today!

I woke up this morning to 10 below zero with a wind chill of -10 to 20 below! The driveway had about 6-7 inches of snow and the snow plow hadn't come by the house yet, so I made a quick decision...hummmm, I think I will stay in the house all day. I really wanted to got to church but decided to just stay put in my warm house. My church (Jesus Fellowship of Believers) has a "live" webcam so you can watch the service online, so that's exactly what I did. I sat here with my laptop and listened to Pastor Tim go over Corinthians chapter 13 which talks about LOVE, and what it means to love through God, not through human love as we see it today. Before the online church service this morning, I was able to whip up some scones. The above picture is my pre-baked version.

Here is my finished product. I made one batch of Cranberry-Orange scones and one batch of Blueberry-Orange scones. I have some really good scone recipes from an older issue of Bon Appetit magazine. I've been making these scones for 10 years or more! The secret is lots of butter and buttermilk. Those two combinations makes scones really tender and holds in the moisture without getting dry and crumbly, (I think you would really like these Krissy). There's nothing worse than a dry tasteless scone...ick! My mom loves the Cranberry-Orange scones so I think I will make a batch just for her the next time I visit my parents.
I honestly stayed indoors all day...never stepped outside once! I know that's bad, but I just had a lot of things I could do inside today. Tomorrow will be back to work so I will be faced with a high temp of 5 degrees. Our daughter Becca was suppose to drive home this afternoon, but she called and said she will not be coming until tomorrow morning due to the cold temps and road conditions. At least I don't have to worry about Becca driving home in the dark....you know how mother's worry!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I need the recipe for scones. I love them but have only made them from a mix - they were good, but I'm sure not as good as homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my Church had a live web cam! I would have stayed home also!
    I had to put my truck in 4 wheel drive to get out. I have a few big drifts by the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have stayed home! Your scones look really good! I use sour cream in my scones, it probably works similiar to the buttermilk. I'll have to try the buttermilk next time i make them.

    ReplyDelete