Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Lake Ice Is Finally Gone

Finally, the lake ice went out on Monday with all the north wind blowing at 20-25 mph. It always amazes me how fast the ice will leave. Ted and Chris were down on the ice on Sunday morning drilling some holes, and by Sunday night most of the ice was gone. By Monday, it was ALL gone....just like that, lickity split!

When I was outside tonight in the yard, I heard the familiar call of a loon. How exciting is that? This seems a little early for the loons to be passing through, but after hearing this lonely loon, I know we will have about two weeks now as the loons will be camping out on Tainter Lake. It really only last about two weeks or so and then the loons move to Northern Wisconsin. It's so exciting to hear the loons laughing and calling out their eerie cries.

So what is this? It's a rain barrel! We decided that we would start collecting the rain run-off and use it for gardening. The rain barrel isn't set up yet, and we aren't actually sure where we want the barrel to go. We look to have the rain barrel functional by May. Not too much longer and we'll see green grass!

5 comments:

  1. That's a much more attractive rain barrel than other 55 gallon drums I've seen! Wow, the ice really does go out quick - that would worry me especially if my kids was out on the ice the morning of the ice dissappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome rain barrel. We have been looking into getting one but haven't gotten around to it yet. Hubby wants cheap, I want nice looking (and cheap).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty & Chris....the rain barrel holds 65 gallons. This one had the best reviews because it holds up to year-round weather conditions, holds lots of water and most people really like the style.

    Price tag? $200 (Amazon.com).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a pricy way to store rain water. I like to hear the loons also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really nice rain barrel. My dad would set out numerous five gallon buckets along the roof line of the shed to collect rain water. When they were almost full, he would just pick them up and carry them to the garden.

    ReplyDelete