Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cooking Maple Syrup is Addictive

We're cooking maple syrup one more time! This time we are better prepared with two aluminum pails. These pails are leftover from the commercial users who switched over to using pump driven tubing system. They don't even make these pails anymore, but we were lucky to find these pails a small-town shop in Central Wisconsin. Believe it or not, the sap is still running. With warmer days and nights in the twenties, it's perfect conditions for running sap.
So how much sap is cooking today? I think Ted cooked about 17 gallons, which consisted of sap from our maple tree and sap from Chris's friend. He started at 10 am, but I don't think it will be totally cooked down to syrup by the time we want to go to bed, so we will just turn the burner off and then recook again tomorrow. Maybe next year we'll sneak around the neighbors yards and tap their maple trees!!!!!

Decided to take a 6 pm lake photo tonight. The conditions were really windy, but the water and sunshine just glistened. Wow, can't believe we had ice a week ago, and now I'm looking at ripples in the lake water.
PS. I didn't hear the loons tonight. They must be south of us on the BIG lake.


4 comments:

  1. You're making me think about pancakes.
    I hear the syrup is really good on ice cream as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought making maple syrup might be kind of fun. Lot of work all at once though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live on such a pretty lake. I'd love to have maple trees and tap them. You can tap birch trees too, there is someone up here who makes birch syrup and sells it.

    ReplyDelete