Monday, February 9, 2009

Cycling Indoors

Got home tonight around 7:30 pm. Went to the fitness center after work to do some weight training and ended up staying for "M" cycling class. Wow, "M" was really, really into standing climbs tonight. Then there were the "hovers" and "isolating." Now when I'm out riding in the warmer months, I try to have good bicycling form....no flopping my body around and wasting energy. Here's my philosophy on cycle class: if you don't do that on a real bicycle, don't do that in cycling class!!!!!!! Who the heck hovers over their bike saddle while their riding outdoors...really, come on. That is so horrible for your lower back!!! Sorry, you can probably tell by my attitude that I HATE hovering or isolating. I've been biking for many, many years now and I just don't understand why some spinning instructors make you do that stuff. I found an excellent cycling book (manual) that talks about the do's and don'ts of cycling class.....I'm learning so much. The title is "Keep it Real" by Jennifer Sage, Master Instructor Team Spinning International (she's also a real biker). Please don't get me wrong and I don't want to offend anyone, but when I teach my cycle class, I want everyone to have fun and exercise like you are really riding your bike. Does that make sense?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. I think it should be natural to what you do in the outdoors also. I can understand that you may stretch different muscles perhaps doing what he's having you do, but if you wanted that, maybe you'd be doing some floor exercises, or lifting weights or doing something else. If you're there for biking, you should be doing biking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with your rant. you are right on. Many years ago I was a certified Spinning instructor, and it drove me nuts what other instructors would have people do on their Spinning bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take your class, not Marks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple years ago I attended a cycling class where the female instructor would have us do standing climbs for like 8 minutes, while continuing to add resistance until your legs could hardly turn any longer. She was also so serious that she never smiled...her class was not fun at all.

    Thanks for listening to my personal rant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natural sounds best and it should be fun otherwise why would you want to do it?

    ReplyDelete