Sunday, December 28, 2008

Unexpected Road Trip

It was my usual Sunday.....go to church at 10:30 am, stay afterwards to eat lunch and chat with church friends, pick up stuff at Wal-Mart and then head home. Well, as soon as I got home this afternoon, Ted told me his son Mike had called and his car broke down coming back from Northern WI so we needed to go and pick up all his kids from their stranded car along HWY 53 near Haugen/Sarona. So, we had an unanticpated trip north, but that was ok because I didn't want Ted's grandchildren stranded in the cold for hours. As it was, two of the kids has to go potty really bad and they has been sitting in the car for about two hours!!! Little Dria was all worried that it would get dark and they wouldn't be able to get home. Then I found out the kids were starving so after I stopped for gas, we saw a Mc Donalds down the way and we stopped to get some food. Everybody was happy and cheery after the food stop. Both Ted and I drove our cars to meet Mike's family along the highway. I took off first and got back to Boyceville around 6 pm tonight and Ted was only about an hour behind me. Everything worked out ok and they are all back home in their nice warm house. Thank heavens the weather wasn't bad today.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention we had an earlier surprise this morning. The electrican that did some work for us this fall called to tell us he shot another deer (doe) and wanted to give us the deer meat. Wow, how nice is that? So when I was at church this morning, Ted went over to the "e" house and helped cut the meat off the bones, and then brought the meat chunks home. The deer was very small so Ted figures there was around 40 pounds of meat. I'm sure we'll use the venison for chili and then use some for venison steaks. I'm just really excited because we haven't had venison for years. Maybe I'll have make our local electrican one of my fancy cheesecakes! That's the least I can do for him, right?

5 comments:

  1. sounds like you had quite a day!
    Yep, a cheesecake would be nice....and bring me a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were home so you could go rescue them. Deer does sound good. I've always liked venison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for rescuing us! We all appreciated being saved. Hehe. Dria and Nay-Jo definitely perked up after getting inside. They were running around like crazy and being silly. You're right - they were hungry again two hours later so I fixed up some sandwiches to fill them up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to be a good mommie some day Rissa!!!! I'm glad I could rescue all of you too. Now you'll have a story to tell all your college friends in Alaska, hee, hee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that was nice to get some extra meat. Good thing you and Ted were able to help his son.

    ReplyDelete