Saturday, January 3, 2009

Do You Have a Favorite Tree?

We have this large pine tree on the lake side of our property that I'm sure is very old. Over that last twenty-two years, I've watched this tree age. It's lost a few big tree limbs to summer thunderstorms, but the biggest problem of all is that there is erosion occurring on the side of the hill where the tree is located. By the photo I took, you can see the base of the pine tree is almost hollow. Since the soil is eroding, the animals make themselves comfortable by taking shelter inside the hollow base. I'm not sure what kind of animal makes a home there, but it's probably a red squirrel, chipmunk, otter, or maybe a woodchuck! I will see animal tracks in the snow going over to the tree, but I can never figure out what is actually living there. Maybe one of these years I'll spot the little creature!!! Let's hope the tree survives another twenty-two years. It's a great tree for the eagles and kingfishers.

4 comments:

  1. Is it possible to pile dirt up around the base of that tree? It will die eventually with it's roots exposed, won't it? But I suppose that's nature. I'd like to see what lives there - you'll have to try and get a picture someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the tree by the lake?
    I like all the trees that are down here in WI. Nice to see more then one type!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that tree is way down the hillside near the lake. Remember when we told you about how our kids would sled down the steep hill?...that's the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite tree on our property is an elm. It is very tall and shades part of my walking trail. I have watched many a sunset, walked many a mile and kicked many balls for the dog and the boys by this tree. There is something about elm trees. They so elegant with their high arching branches. We lost two trees in the last couple years to dutch elm disease. I hope and pray ( yes I have prayed for a tree) that this one does not go. I will cry if it does.

    ReplyDelete