Friday, January 2, 2009

Make Your Fitness Routine Managable...For Life!

Today did not feel like a Friday! I think since New Year's Day was on Thursday, it just felt weird going back to work for one day. The worst part was that I couldn't buy my usual cup of Java today because the Internet cafe was closed....that was really hard. I did bring my own coffee to work today, but it just wasn't the same. I'm so spoiled!

After work I rushed over to Anytime Fitness so I could teach my spin class. Now I haven't actual taught spin class for about 1 1/2 weeks because of the Christmas & New Year holidays, so I felt really rusty tonight. I felt a little more winded tonight with high cadenance spins, but it won't take long before I build up that endurance again. You know, sometimes you just have to take a "holiday" break in your fitness routine to feel like a normal person...like a couch potato! Does anyone remember the "Body for Life" program designed by Bill Phillips? Body for Life combined weekly cardio workouts with weight training, in very reasonable amounts of time. One of the things that Bill scheduled into his weight-loss program was allowing yourself one free day...meaning in one week, you could take off one day from exercising and you could eat whatever you wanted. I loved that program. It gave you a break! I followed the Body for Life program back in 1999-2000 and felt really good...that was my peak years of fitness since I was about 39-40 yrs old. One of the things you have to remember is whatever you do for fitness, you have to make it reasonable and FOR LIFE, otherwise you will burn out...trust me! No one can go to the gym 7 days a weeks for 365 days out of the year without burning out. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes people make in there new fitness routine. Make your exercise routine managable and reasonable....give yourself a break! I've seen people go 100% into the fitness center thing and then they totally burn out after after 12 months. Go to your library and check out the Body for Life book....it's workable for the real person!

PS. I had three college-age girls come to my class tonight so I felt REALLY OLD! Hopefully the girls liked my music (thanks Trihardist for the music and spinning drills).

4 comments:

  1. Very wise words... balance is the key to any sustainable endeavor. It has to be fun... and breaks are an important factor. It is fantastic that you do the spinning classes. Those girls are lucky to experience your enthusiasm! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh? I'm a couch potato 24/7/365
    and I'm not burnt out yet! In fact I'm doing pretty good at it. Maybe I need to take a break from that and take one day a week and do something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I joined a gym...once. And I forced myself to go 4x per week. Which you would think would give me 3 days a week break. And it did, but I still felt burnt out. I was almost glad when I tripped in the street and sprained my ankle and got out of the gym membership. But now I'm wishing I was back doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment Sarah!

    Ha, ha Krissy...very funny.

    Pak Art...wow, that's amazing that you could get out of your gym membership because of your ankle sprain. Maybe you could buy an exercise ball!

    ReplyDelete