Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Pea Soup is Gone




When I got home from work tonight, I took a walk down to our dock to see the sunset and basically to get some fresh air. I was so surprised to see the blue-green algae is almost gone. For anyone that doesn't know our lake well, you would never know by these pics that I just took tonight, that our lake has a bad problem with blue-green algae bloom during the summer months. It's bad, really bad. Never use to be this bad, but over the last twentysome years the phospherus level has grown to it's maxium and the algae just keeps on blooming to make our lake look like "pea soup." I purposely haven't taken many pictures of the lake water until now because I didn't want to gross anyone out. Too bad I don't have a scratch & sniff on my blog because the smell by August is very over-powering. Other than that, the lake is really nice. From where we live on the lake, it's only about 1/2 from where the Hay River runs into our lake. In your boat, as you near the mouth of the Hay River, the water quality vastly improves. On 90 degree summer days, Ted and I head up the river so he can go fishing and I can sit in the river...the clean water!!!!
Can you believe that in about six weeks, our lake could be frozen. It happens fast once the temperatures drop into the teens at night. I'll be sure to catch that moment with my handy dandy camera.
Update on Grandma Winnie
She is still in the hospital and still has the catheter in to drain her liver infection. Grandma is sleeping quiet a bit and her blood pressure continues to be very low. As of this morning, they still did not know the source of her bleeding, however, she did have the colonoscopy so they were waiting for the doctor to come this afternoon for a report. If we hear anything soon, I'll update my post.
Thanks for reading my post!


5 comments:

  1. I like pea soup. But not in my lake. yuck. Our lake at the cabin is getting more and more lilly pads. I think ours is very much affected by how many beavers are living in it. Right now we think the beavers are gone because the water level is down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered why some lakes looked so green! It looked yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was ice fishing by December first of 2007... Hopefully it is sooner this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris....good to hear from you son! All we need is some really cold weather and below freezing nights and you might be ice fishing by November or December.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tainter, I just got a few minutes to catch up with your blog...we live on small lake that has an algae bloom just like yours. The kids don't seem to mind swimming in it, but the adults fan themselves in the shade during hot spells.

    ReplyDelete