Thursday, January 7, 2016

A Little Snowshoeing

I've been talking and planning about this for months, but the lack of snow goofed up my plans.  I told a couple friends that I wanted to go snowshoeing after I retired from my job, but since we've had a lack of precipitation, my snowshoeing excursions had to wait until today.  With several new inches of snow last night, plus the snow we received a couple days ago, we could finally strap on the snowshoes and go for a walk. 

We went for a wonderful walk on Caryn's wooded land just northwest of where Bike man and I live.  With several trails to choose from, we chose the trail that led to the mouth of the Hay River.  

Our tour guide, Caryn, is very knowledgeable about her land.  She knows every ravine, hill, trail, trees and best mushroom spots! 

Reaching the water via hiking/snowshoeing is my favorite thing to do.  As soon as we arrived near the Hay River, we spotted open water and lots of geese.  We looked for the Tundra Swans, but they have finally left the area.

Today was perfect for snowshoeing with temperatures around 35 degrees, light snow and no wind.  Someone asked me last night, "so are you traveling south for the winter now that you are retired"?  I said, NO!  I love winter and look forward to snowshoeing, cross country skiing and ice fishing.  What a silly question......

3 comments:

  1. So glad it snowed for you so that you could get out and about and enjoy the winter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It snowed again last night, about 2 inches or so. Now we are all waiting for the arctic blast to hit us this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Sigh. I can only wish for snow here.
      It won't happen....

      Delete