Sunday, February 9, 2014

Winteritis

I must be suffering from winteritis!  I haven't felt like blogging or sharing my wintry days with you.....I'm sorry friends.  Lack of running or snowshoeing has left me hibernating indoors at work and at home.  The main problem this winter is the constant north or west winds that adds the bitter windchill. I'm going to think positive about the winter conditions and look forward to warmer temperatures soon.

What tastes good on a cold, cold day?  Chili, of course.  Each batch of chili we make is always different....I never use a recipe.  Today's batch consisted of our own canned tomatoes, plus several cans of crushed tomatoes with basil, herbs and garlic, onions, carrots, black beans and pork loin.  Then I seasoned the chili with Penzey's chili 3000, red chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper.  And don't forget the Epazote!

Epazote is a weed (herb) grown in Mexico, Central & South America.  Supposedly, adding this dried herb to your chili recipe will help to relieve the flatulence-symptoms associated with eating lots of beans!  It's also used in many Mexican recipes such as enchiladas, quesadillias, sopes and tamales.   If you do some reading on Wikipedia about Epazote, you'll find some very interesting findings about this interesting weed.  So, I'm testing this out to see if my chili with black beans will be less gassy.  

Another -20 degrees below zero tonight.  My vehicle is once again plugged in so the block heater will keep my car engine warm for tomorrow's early morning start-up.  Thank heavens for block heaters.         



10 comments:

  1. gee, now you use the anti gas stuff! Why not when I worked with you at the library?! Been thinking about you and thought that I would pop in and say Hi. (hi) Sorry that your so cold. AK now is getting backto normal winter temps. -0-at night and up to 20 orso during the day. We are gaining daylight by 5 min now. Spring will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aunt Krissy, I miss you. Yup, sometimes I have to go shelve books....hee, hee! Please come back for a visit ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the weed, I will look for it. Also interested to know if it alters the flavor in any way. Thanks for the well wishes on my hand...stitches to come out on Thurs., so hopefully I have the use of my right hand then...I sure can see how one can get depressed sitting around alone, with nothing to do but read for days and days. It is deeply boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't alter the taste, however, some of the weeds were more like stems, so you can get a few chewy pieces. Good luck on Thursday.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to try that herb, never heard of it. I think we've all got a good case of "winteritis" lol I like that term :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have what you have.
    Didn't know its name...but "winteritis" works for me.
    Sending warm hugs to you, my friend.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your not getting that nasty cold weather like Atlanta. This sure has been an unusual cold winter.

      Delete