By mid January, you just have to accept the cold weather here in the Midwest. That means layering with warm clothes especially if you going to spend some time outdoors. After being indoors most of the work week, I was itching to get outside despite the cool 14 degree temperature today. Thank heavens the sun was shining. Bike man and I decided today would be a great day to visit the Red Cedar trail with our snowshoes.
The RC trail is groomed for cross-country skiing from Menomonie to Downsville, so we decided to access the trail beyond Downsville, where snowshoeing is permitted. The trail this afternoon was beautiful and very quiet. As we were getting ready to head out on the trail, a woman and her dog were just finishing a snowshoe walk. We basically followed her track along the river.
Bike man and I took it easy, especially since this was Bike man's first time out on his new snowshoes. We made stops to take pictures and to view all the ice walls along the trail.
Lots of natural springs where the water flows all year long along the rock face. The ice walls were simply beautiful. We could even hear the water dripping behind the ice......the drips kind of echoed! So cool.
Poor Bike man! He had a couple mishaps where his snowshoes kept inner locking while walking, which would make him go down. I think it's just a matter of getting use to his new snowshoes.
Snowshoeing along the trail kept us sheltered from the wind. I thought about snowshoeing on our lake, but the northwest winds were gusting around 17 mph today, so that was pretty brutal. I'm just glad we could get out today and do something different. You gotta love winter.....or should I say accept winter!!!!
Gotta be out no matter what! The silent sports are the best.
ReplyDeleteLove the ice falls! And WOW that was some deep snow!
ReplyDelete