Friday, September 10, 2010

My Favorite Photograph

Great Blue Heron
I'm really proud of this photo. As we were biking along the Red Cedar River on the first day of our bicycle trip, I spotted this Great Blue Heron. He was so calm, so still, just like a statue. I stopped my bicycle and backed up so I could get a perfect shot. The bird never moved! I think it was content on looking for his next meal. The things you see while cycling is amazing. I always think about the opportunities that you don't see or witness in a vehicle. This was one of those moments.
Today was my recovery day. I slept in until 8:30 am. Can you believe that? Today was one of those days to catch up. I happily caught up on emails, blog posts, laundry, and grocery shopping. I even stopped by the local clinic and got my flu shot, thanks to Bike man for the heads up! Ran into the Son today while driving through Menomonie, so we both headed over to the grocery store and chit chatted while shopping for food.
Headed home and cooked up a big batch of Chicken Gumbo.....minus the okra!!! Ever since I had that cup of Chicken Gumbo soup while on our bicycle trip, I just had to come home and make it myself. I searched the Internet for recipes, but ended up just improvising my own recipe. I added Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, so you can imagine how spicy the soup turned out. Yup, that's me......hot and spicy (I mean the soup)!

5 comments:

  1. Nice photo.
    Sleepin' in is one of my favorite past-times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great shot :) This break has been good for you. There is a lightness and an energy coming through your words that is most agreeable. Ummm, I haven't ever made a gumbo but it does sound nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slug! In bed till 8.30a, you might as well have taken a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photograph....I love the statue-like bird...and especially love the water...its movement and color.
    And...by the way....8:30 A.M. is not sleeping in. I'm just turning over at that hour...getting ready for a few more hours. THAT's sleeping in!
    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this photo, too and i love those birds !

    but i think you meant heron....there is a lake huron, but i'm pretty sure the bird is heron.

    ReplyDelete