Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'm Off to the Fox Valley!

After going to library conferences for the last nine years, I've learned something....you will always pay inflated prices for hotel rooms at the conference centers, unless you choose to stay off site. What a rip-off! So I decided to stay off-site this year.

I booked a three night night stay at a Comfort Inn instead of the Radisson Paper Mill Conference Center and saved lots of money. In fact, I was able to get a room/suite at Comfort Inn & Suites and still come out cheaper than the conference center. There's the king size bed, the kitchenette, and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi bathtub, and it still comes out a lot less expensive than staying right there at the conference site. Heck, I could have a big party in this room!!! Why do these conferences soak you for tons of money?
The Wisconsin Library Association Conference starts tomorrow in Appleton, WI. I'm most excited about seeing and hopefully meeting Teresa Allen, author of "Oven's of Brittney Cookbook." That cookbook was the first cookbook I bought when I was 20 yrs old. When I lived in Madison, WI years ago, I loved to visit the Ovens of Brittney bakery. This was the bakery that introduced me to Morning Buns! Teresa Allen has authored several books on Wisconsin bakeries and cafes, so I will be in seventh heaven to sit in on her workshop.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your workshop, my friend....and the jacuzzi!!
    Have fun. Can't wait to hear all about it.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A jacuzzi tub?! Oh I sure could use that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love staying at hotels - there's something fun about going through the mini bar and having soft towels that someone else has to wash. I always feel pampered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...I forgot to mention "happy hour" between 5-7 pm!!!! Popcorn & white wine, yum.

    ReplyDelete