Saturday, July 18, 2009

We Said Our Good-Byes Tonight

Just imagine riding down this road on your bike and knowing that you are going to eventually climb those mountains ahead. This is what biking is like in Northwest Montana. I fell in love with the land, ranches, wild flowers, fresh air, dry air (no humidity) and beautiful mountain streams.

Today was the last day of our bike trip. The bike man and I opted out of riding today since we had such a long day yesterday. Instead, we packed up all our stuff, we rested, blogged earlier and boarded the tour bus at 3 pm for our trip back to Whitefish tonight. We arrived back by 6 pm. We shoved all our bags into the car and loaded our bikes on the back and headed out of Whitefish.

So here we are tonight in Shelby, MT along highway 2. We are now in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. We found a cheap motel for the night and will head out early tomorrow morning.

My head and legs are still spinning from consecutive days of cycling. It will take me a few days to settle down and feel normal again. As we all said good-byes in the parking lot back in Whitefish, I realized how quickly you can make connections and new friends. I'm glad I decided to sign up for this Adventure Cycling trip. I would highly recommend Adventure Cycling for other trips. I felt well-cared for during this trip, and the staff was amazing.

PS. Before we left Whitefish, we already plotted with Shelia & Leon (from South Dakota) about meeting up in two years to ride the Great Divide trail starting in Banff to the Roosville. What a cool couple. Shelia did way more training than I did on the mountain bike trails in South Dakota. I was really impressed.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing view of those mountains. I'm so glad that you made lasting friends on your bike ride, and I hope that you have a safe trip home. I know that you will miss everyone. I hope that you get rested, and that you will be able to make the next trip to the Great Divide. Thank you for sharing the trip with us as you went....
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like a wonderful trip. I bet you are enjoying the shower and bed to sleep in. There's nothing like sleeping on the ground and working hard to make you appreciate a mattress and pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to all who were following our bike trip. If I could have kept going on the Great Divide trail, I know my body would have adjusted quickly. It doesn't take long to build up the miles everyday.

    In two years I might just be doing that! Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete