Friday, May 22, 2009

A Squirrel + One Library...No Way!


For several hours this morning at work, I kept hearing some kind of creature crying. At first I thought a bird somehow found it's way into our municipal building, but the crying was just way too loud for a bird.

I couldn't take it any longer, so I walked upstairs in our old municipal building and kept looking for this bird. Guess what? It wasn't a bird I heard, it was a baby squirrel. Poor thing, he was so scared.

Luckily, I have a camera at work so I took some pics of this little baby squirrel who was totally confused at where his momma was.

My part-time librarian, K, suggested I take pictures of this little creature. I had fun taking pictures of the baby squirrel, but at the same time I wanted to lure the squirrel down the steps to ground level.

In the meantime, our courier driver, Wayne, delivered our Friday boxes. I told him about our problem with the baby squirrel. Wayne said, no problem. He use to have pet squirrels so he went upstairs with us and helped lure the squirrel down the steps.

Too make a long story short, the squirrel jumped on Wayne's leg and Wayne scooped the squirrel up in his hand and took him outside. Guess who was outside in the park? Yup, the baby squirrels momma was outside waiting for her little baby. How awesome is that? The momma must have heard the squirrels cries, even though our building is totally sound prove. I just couldn't believe it....that momma squirrel must have been waiting in the park for several hours.

Commuted by bicycle today. Nice ride into work this morning with some wind. Had a cross wind coming home tonight, but overall it was a great ride home. 24/12 mph

6 comments:

  1. Awww, great story. I'm glad you had the camera handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story! Good luck cleaning up all of the dirt from the dirt storm. It is finally warming up here, and I was able to put my tomato plants and flowers outside on the deck =)
    Last weekend I also did the first bike ride of the season - a bit windy there, but really fast back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! How in the world did Wayne get the squirrel to jump on his leg? He must be a squirrel whisperer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's so cute! Too bad I missed the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me of a funny home video I saw on TV with a squirrel tearing around the house and everyone shrieking and jumping on things. Glad he got outside to his mommy.

    ReplyDelete