Today was my first day of bicycle commuting to work....12 miles each way. The morning ride in was cool, but lovely. The ride home was blustery with winds around 20 mph. At times when the wind hit me straight on, I looked down at my bike computer and realized I was only going 6 mph...yikes. I felt like a cartoon character where you see a person trying to ride their bike in a wind tunnel and your legs keep spinning, but your not going anywhere. Yup, that's how I felt today.
On my way home tonight I enjoyed the smell of Lilac bushes, plus lots of trees and bushes with white flowers....the smell of blossums was amazing. Then, I was surprised at the sound of crickets already in mid May. I also caught a glimpse of Trillium's blooming in the woods along the country roads. You could never notice these little treasures by vehicle, that's what I love about cycling.
I could smell the lilacs along the greenway tonight. Delightful!
ReplyDelete12 Miles? Wow, I feel like such a weeny. Yet, I do enjoy that feel of biking along, smelling whatever, feeling the fresh air, warm sunshine and hearing the birds chirping.
ReplyDeleteWhen I used to take the boys on bike rides that was one of things I liked - just getting a better view of things and being able to smell and enter into the surroundings a little bit.
ReplyDeleteI have my windows rolled down, i smell flowers and hear the bugs. What's nice about cars is you can go fast past the skunk smell and the cow poop smell.
ReplyDelete