Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's Still March After All!

This is what we woke up to this morning.....the white stuff! Grrrrrr.
After walking around outside with my camera this morning, I do have to admit it looked looked pretty with the morning sunshine and lots of melting snow. The birds didn't care, they were still singing and singing.

I can't remember this gnomes name....Becca named it after some Harry Potter character. This little guy was reaping most of the sunshine and warmth this morning.


Just another updated photo of the melting lake ice. You can't see it in the picture, but there are lots of ducks and geese swimming around in the water. The sand hill cranes were also out flying around making their unusual cronking sound.



One of the interesting things about snow, is that you can tell which animals visited your house during the night. Here's some tracks from a racoon that walked up the stairs from the lake. Hey, why walk up the hill when you can take the stairs?





Lastly, we were visited by a coyote during the early morning hours. I also saw tracks from a fox and possibly some sort of bird like a crow or eagle.
A bunch of people are out ice fishing near our house, so I will go out and see if they're catching any perch this afternoon. Don't worry mom, there's still good ice out from our house, but by next Saturday it won't be safe. Maybe I'll soak up some rays this afternoon. Temperature should reach upper 50's by later this afternoon.




5 comments:

  1. I love looking at animal tracks in the snow. It's cool to have raccoons around - we don't have them up here. Although I hear they can be quite the nuisance animal. Don't worry, spring will come. I keep reminding myself of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the tracks. I think coons are funny creatures, naughty too. In the summer we have to put a radio in the corn at night to keep the coons at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to be bothered by a coon. Maybe they don't live by me. Or more like Abby keeps them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the second picture from the top. I can't say I wished I gotten your snow though. Also, you get a lot of visitors there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got a coating of the white stuff too and I saw a few animal tracks in it. With a high temp of 61 degrees, it was all gone by this afternoon. I suppose being March, I should expect more snow but I hope not. I'm taking my bicycle off the trainer and out to the streets this week so- No More Snow!

    ReplyDelete