Monday, November 24, 2008

Ice Fishing Replaces Bicycling


I'm sure you are wondering what this contraption is all about! This is the beginning of Chris's ice shack. I took this picture last weekend, but it still isn't complete as you can see. The "boys" decided to wrap the shack in a tarp to keep the snow out while they continue to work on it. I've never seen an ice shack quite like this one. Chris constructed it really tall, but very narrow so it looks funny. When Chris comes home for his Thanksgiving break from college, he promised me this shack would be totally put together. I would say there is enough room for two people to fish, but three would be a crowd! I guess Chris is planning on taking the shack to Lake Menomon in Menomonie where he is going to college. Nothing like going to your college classes and then ending your day by ice fishing.....only in Northwest Wisconsin! Some of the best fish are caught during the winter months. Ice fishing is a "normal" activity around our house from December through March. Once the fire pit is moved down on the ice, I don't mind hanging out around the fire while the boys go ice fishing. Hot dogs/brats cooked around the outdoor fire is the ultimate in winter fun. There's nothing like a good roasted hot dog on a subzero day! Yes Aunt Krissy, I do wear my snowsuit, long johns, my neck turtle, wool hat, choppers with liners, wool socks and my Sorrel boots!!!!!

Chris was showing me the inside of his new ice shack.........pretty nice.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun. I want to come cook brats on the fire with you! Chris looks pretty handy with hammer and saw. My son built a little house that he actually lived in for a couple summers. It was very small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary, scary ice!! I've developed a huge phobia of ice over the years!!! I can't even imagine going out on it to fish or skate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little shack! If it was a cold windy day I would dress warm too! I'm tough but not stupid!
    and again...Brats!

    also what are choppers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My choppers are my deer hide gloves with wool liners inside. In really cold weather I can't wear finger gloves because my hand can't tolerate extreme cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to ask Tim what Choppers were also. He said my beaver mittens qualify as choppers. It must be a midwest term because I had never heard it before, but Tim had.

    ReplyDelete