I found my grandma Fannie's cookbook ledger in my closet yesterday and realized I haven't looked through it for many years. The date on the ledger says 1972....I was twelve years old when she bought this ledger. So, I brought it out and set it next to where I normally sit when I'm watching TV or checking my blogs and Facebook. I told myself I really need to look through the entire book since my grandma worked so hard to collect the recipes. Grandma Fannie collected enough recipes so she would fill three ledgers.....one for each of her granddaughters.
And look what grandma did. She even included cut out photos that she clued to the pages. I don't think she actually made all the recipes, but the one's she did try, she had written a message or maybe changed the measurements. When I look through this recipe book, it brings back memories of foods, desserts and baked goods my family enjoyed when I was growing up.
I think it would be fun and very nostalgic to periodically try some of these recipes from grandma Fannie's ledger, especially the German desserts. I'm glad my grandma was thinking of the future and wanted her granddaughters to have a little remembrance of her.
PS. I started my own recipe ledger in 1978 and my mother has her own recipe ledger she started in??? Our love of food and recipes is a family trait!


What a treasure that is, Lisa....
ReplyDeleteAn absolute treasure.
Thanks Jackie. It's a nice reminder of my grandma and I think of her often.
DeleteI, too, have recipes collected from the family, and what a treasure it is. I love knowing I am carrying on a family food tradition.
DeleteSuch a great legacy to leave! My friend has her Grandmother's who left notes in the margins with dates she made recipes, what the news of the day was, the weather, etc. So my friend is doing the same now for her daughter! Love this idea so!!
ReplyDeleteGrandma's recipes connect love and memories. I'm glad your friend is doing the same thing.
DeleteWhat a great idea Lisa. A lovely way to remember your Grandmother and pass on who she was to you and your family. Think I'm going to have to start one.
ReplyDeleteYou should start a recipe book for Chyann, then she can pass on the recipes to her children.
Delete