Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lake Ice?

I could not leave for work this morning until I ran down to the dock to take a picture of the first lake ice.  Yup, I was really excited.  Temperature must have been around 15 degrees this morning, but really, I didn't even notice.   


All I wanted to do was capture the moment of ice forming on the lake.  Every late fall, we wait for this moment.  I know my Georgia blog friend Jackie waits for this moment as well.  I thought about her this morning as I took these photos.

Since it was really windy over the weekend, the water froze as the wind was blowing.  Isn't that cool?  So the good news is, temperatures will warm up around 50 degrees this weekend.  Bad news?  This lake ice will not stay.  That's ok, because the lake usually freezes solid around late November or early December.  It's the natural cycle of Tainter Lake and living in the Midwest.

Talked to a book vendor from Milwaukee this morning on the phone.  So she says to me, "oh, I could never live in northern Wisconsin where it gets so cold."  What???  So I shot back, well if you're an outdoors kind of person, you would love northern Wisconsin.  Why do people think northern Wisconsin is desolate and brutal?  Actually, our winter season is beautiful and we have lots of activities you can do outdoors to stay health and tough.  I love where I live........so there lady from Milwaukee!

10 comments:

  1. Oh!!
    Can it be!!?
    YES!!!
    I enlarged every photo. So beautiful, Lisa. Almost magical, to me. If I could see that in person, I would be speechless.....then giddy like a little girl. I have been waiting for these photos. I am so happy to see your lake ice.
    Lucky girl, you are!!!
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was dedicated to you Jackie. I know you've been waiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Don't tell people how great the winters are. They stay away because they think it's so harsh. That's why we complain. It keeps the riff raff out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad it's going to warm up. I was hoping to be ice fishing this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos, and love the on come of winter. AI agree, let people think it is so harsh, keeps them away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say the same thing about Alaska!! good... we don't need more people here! :-) Enjoy freeze up. Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, good to see your comment. Hope you and Krissy are spending some time together.

      Delete