Returning from our bicycle trip, I've had time this week to reflect on the 10 days we were actually on the road cycling. As I've returned to work this week, I've had a lot of people ask me about our bicycle trip. I really didn't stop to think about it until now, or nine days after being home. I thought it would be fun to share some interesting stories about our adventure. Beware, I'm very candidate and open about my thoughts.....something I learned from Aunt Krissy.
So what are the most common questions we get from people who see us traveling by bicycle?
Where are you going?
Where did you come from?
So how do you like pulling that trailer? What's in it???
How far are you riding today?
I'd have to say 99% of the people that actually stop to talked with us are genuinely friendly people. During our first week of riding, I thought of it as our "cancer" ride. We met at least three people that had struggled with cancer. One older woman, who happened to look very much like a Mennonite-type, talked our leg off for 30 minutes at the campground about her cancer and her husband's cancer.....wow, made me feel lucky to be healthy.
We met another gentleman as we rode along on this long wooden bridge, who asked us if we had any matches to share. Long story short, he happened to serve in the Navy about the same time Bike man served in the Marine Corp and they both had been in Vietnam about the same time. He made a comment about his smoking and that he decided he wouldn't quit smoking since he had just been diagnosed with stomach cancer and it had already metastasized and he was given three years tops to live. Cigarettes were his last luxury to enjoy he said. That was probably one of our longer breaks we took to stop and talk to someone. Most times we limited our talks to people about 10-15 minutes since we needed to be on our way. I couldn't help feeling that our meeting him was just meant to be, and he really did enjoy talking with us. It was at that point I mentioned to Bike man that we were meeting all these people with cancer, so I coined it our cancer week of riding!
Coming back on the return trip home, our first two days of riding through the hills of Southwest Wisconsin was beautiful, but tiring. I think it was at that point in the trip that my body was finally starting to reach that max output of my body's stored energy. Remember, I've never gone beyond one week for a cycling trip. Now I understand how cyclists build and build and build until their bodies start burning stored fat and build their oxygen output. I was pushing my body like never before. Southwest Wisconsin was were I felt a little bitchy!
We made it to La Farge no problem, but the next leg of the trip from La Farge to West Salem, a 50+ mile day, through awesome hill climbs in the Kickapoo Valley area. The hill climbs physically hit me. I didn't notice at first because I was so focused on the beautiful hills and natural landscape.....kind of my home turf since I grew up near there as a little girl. But, the hills and carrying saddle bags filled with food and STUFF, mentally and physcially got to me. I struggled to reach West Salem since my butt and every other muscle in my body hurt. I stopped talking to Bike man and just concentrated on the hurting parts. We did finally make it to West Salem, but we immediately looked for the local Kwik Trip to stop and buy some cold beers and one large fresh veggie salad to share for dinner. It was that night that I felt bitchy, sore and tired.....thank heavens for some cold brews to perk me up. I think it was later that night or the next day that Bike man admitted to me that he had struggled himself that day, but of course a man doesn't say anything. Later that night Bike man and I sat and watched the hundreds of bats that came out to feed near the river next to our campsite. My negativity suddenly turned to an calming feeling of watching one of God's beautiful little creatures.....bats still scare me, but I do love watching them feed at night. So, I would have to say that was my only real bad day out of the whole trip. Hey, not shabby!
The next three days my body seemed to finally understand what I was doing and I was starting to feel stronger.....the butt still hurt, but I felt good. I also realized my focus wasn't on food any longer, and I think that's because my body adapted to the expending of energy. As long as I feed myself every two hours, I did fine. I think I ate more food on the second week, but that's because Bike man encouraged me to eat every time we stopped at a rest area, even if I didn't think I was hungry. It's amazing what you learn about yourself and your body. This trip mentally gave me the thumbs up to try a longer trip, like three months or longer. Bike man and I have talked about the possibility of long rode trips out west or around Lake Superior, or heck, even south to New Orleans! Of course, this will be when I stop working at the public library.
Just some things to remember......if it rains, you won't melt. If it's really hot that day, you just ride less miles. If you're hungry or graving some particular food, just stop and treat yourself. If you don't like the traffic, just find an alternative country route. If you feel grouchy or bitchy that day, the silence can sometimes be a good thing. If someone wants to talk to you and ask questions along the way, just stop and talk to them.....I believe it's not a coincidence, as people cross our paths for a reason in life. Want to lessen the cost of your bicycle trip, then find campgrounds that have warm showers where you can clean up. If you really want to see the country we live in, try seeing it by bicycle, where you will notice every bug, bird, animal, smell, building, person or uniqueness about the place you are riding through. It's just like hiking or canoeing as you become one with the natural environment and you learn to appreciate the outdoors.
What you don't like the outdoors? Well, then I think you are missing out on life my friends. You are never too old either!
PS. Every time we stopped at Kwik Trip for a rest and a snack, the person at the counter asked us if we had any gas to pay for along with our food. Really? Do you see our cycling clothes! Come on people. Our reply......no, our gas doesn't cost us anything cuz we don't use gas, we use pedal power.......hee, hee

Wow !! I enjoyed sitting with your kitties ..my butt hurt just reading this!!!! Love ya GF ;)
ReplyDelete@Jill....thanks GF. Because of your kitty sitting (and Mandy too) I could go and hurt my butt for days on end.
ReplyDeleteBike man said my butt is 3 nano meters smaller! HA
I have often tossed around the idea to do some bicycle touring/ camping, but just have yet to do it. After chatting with you folks and following your blog, I am getting more intriqued. I too often get asked about fuel at kwik stores when I am in bike clothes.
ReplyDelete@Gentleman John....it sure was nice to see you the very first day. You were our good luck charm!
ReplyDeleteI found it delightful to read the stories of the visits you had with people along the way. I pause and pray for those who are suffering with cancer. My heart is touched as I think of those who endure so much more than I can ever imagine.
ReplyDeleteAnd, before you begin your trek to New Orleans, call me. I will remind you again and again how humid it is down heah (South Jawja for "here")...and ask you if you REALLY want to bicycle down heah in this humidity. Those who are not used to is will tell you that it will do you in!! For sure!
I'm so proud of you, Lisa.
You go girl!
Love you,
Jackie
Wow, a 3 month bike ride?! So, any idea when your last day at work will be?
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful account of your trip! I doubt very much I'd have the kind of physical power and endurance you two expended, despite my biking every day (a meager 15 miles). A road trip does sound good, but we are looking to ride the trails of North Dakota someday in the not too distant future. I love the outdoors, too, and find in the summer that I spend about 45 minutes max, during the day, indoors!
ReplyDelete