Saturday, June 16, 2012

Nature Valley Bicycle Race

After my food co-op board meeting this morning, I met up with Bike man and our daughter Becca in Menomonie.  Only one city block away was the start of the Nature Valley Bicycle race @ noon.  Bike man and I have missed  attending the race over the last two years due to prior commitments, so we were excited to finally see the race today.  Very exciting!  A little rain shower prior to the beginning of the men's race, but no big deal.      

Unfortunately, the rain hammered down for the beginning of the woman's race....and it came down really hard.  Bummer for the women, but I'm sure they're use to rain and other conditions as well.

So the highlight of our day?  During the men's race, someone walked by me that I recognized from a blog that we have followed for 4 years now.  Harry Legge's friend and Birchwood Cafe team rider, Eric Thoerner, was working as a medical volunteer today.  Of course I recognized him right away since I've seen his photos on Facebook/blog and have read his comments to Harry Legge's (Tom).  I introduced myself to Eric and told him who I was, and reminded him that I briefly met him and his wife Heather last year at Amy's birthday party in Minneapolis.  How cool is that?  Social media......it opens up a small world.

Our daughter had to head back to Minneapolis later today, but it was so nice to spend some time with her.  Thanks Becca for the Father's Day visit!

4 comments:

  1. Too bad it rained on that 'parade' but WE sure could use the rain. Dry, dry, dry here in SW WI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure is a small world, amazing really.

    Nice that Becca was able to visit for a bit. Is she teaching now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie....Becca works for St. David's Center Child & Family Development in Minnetonka, MN. Since it's a developmental center that specializes in children with special needs, Becca works year round. She loves her job!!!

    ReplyDelete