Ahhhh, spring's favorite vegetable is finally ready for picking! Rhubarb is my favorite seasonal treat, but we really enjoy it like a fruit. Rhubarb is very similar to celery in texture, but cooks and bakes nice and soft. It's totally tart, so you'll need to add adequate sugar......unless you're like Bike man. He likes to cook rhubarb sauce with very little sugar, so it turns out thick, soft and tart !!!!
I made a promise yesterday and I always keep my promises. I baked a rhubarb custard pie tonight for Bike man. I'm guessing there'll be a piece missing by the time I go to bed tonight. I'm happy to tell you this is one of those old family recipes that was handed down to me by my mother. If your from the midwest, you'll likely have a rhubarb plant or two growing in your yard. Now, if only I could figure out how to send my sister (in Jacksonville, FL) some rhubarb. Sorry Deb, I'll work on that.
So who does Bike Man blame it on when a peice is missing?
ReplyDeleteI've never had rhubarb...and I would probably misspell that word on a "spelling test" for sure. (I had to look at your original post for the spelling.) :))
ReplyDeleteHello to Deb in Jax. We are almost neighbors. (Jax is my birthplace. (St. Lukes)
We're pretty much on the same page! Love rhubarb custard pie. Looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteThose flat rate boxes from the PO work great.. and priority mail. I bet if you mailed the package Monday morning, it would be to her by Wednesday... I mail packages from AK to MN and it gets there usually in about 3 or 4 days max. think the rhubarb would last that long... could even put a couple of the freezer gel packs in it to try to keep it cooler??
ReplyDeleteI havent looked at my rhubarb, but the snow just melted off it this week, so it should start sprouting soon!
Rose
Rose...I never thought about priority mail to ship the rhubarb. Good advice!!!
ReplyDeleteDid you say snow is melting, wow????
Might need that recipe Lisa, it look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThat looks very good Mom! Save some for me.
ReplyDeletemmm - I love rhubarb pie, but I've never made one with custard. Where's the recipe? Looks delicious!
ReplyDelete