
I'm so sorry. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to react. I never saw you until it was too late!
That's what I kept telling myself all the way home from my late day appointment in another nearby town. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Driving along a major state highway this afternoon, a very nice looking dog just decided it would be fun to jump out in front of my car! I never saw him until I was approaching a driveway.....he just appeared out of nowhere.
I heard the impact and my body just flinched. I knew I had hit him, or should I say, he hit me! All I could think of was oh know.
I quickly turned around and jump out of the car to check on him. I knew he wasn't going to make it, so I bent down, touched him and told him I was sorry. I know he heard me and it was at that moment his body stopped twitching and he died right there in front of me.
I felt pretty shook up, but I knew there wasn't anything I could have done. The young bulldog just happen to be left outside by his owner who decided to drive to town to pick up his kids. After I found out the owner had left the dog outdoors all alone, my sadness turned to anger. Now I realized the young dog was outside along this major highway just waiting for his owner to return, and he just wanted to play. Unfortunately he wanted to play with a moving vehicle.
How sad.....very, very sad.
I still remember hitting squirrels. It's always tough, but like you said, there's nothing we can do.
ReplyDeleteOh how sad and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I had a golden retriever run out in front of me once and I hit it. His master was right there too and saw it happen ~ needless to say it was heart wrenching.
ReplyDeleteOhhh, that just breaks my heart- for you and for the poor dog! Its a tragedy that was senseless and that is what makes it so hard!! Be gentle on yourself, hugs to you, I know how hard this has to be!
ReplyDeleteOh that is soo sad Lisa.. Im sorry that happened to you and the pup.. Nothing you could do to have prevented it tho.
ReplyDeleteOhh, it breaks your heart, doesn't it? I cringe when I see pets alone outside.
ReplyDeleteOh, so sorry, I know that feelings. You have such a heart for critters, makes it hard on ya. but like you said, 'nothing you can do'
ReplyDeleteoh Lisa! I am so sorry this happened to you! Just a terrible accident, and just nothing you could do! One of my worst fears! Very strong and brave of you to stop and touch him and give him comfort.
ReplyDeleteIt took me this long to comment on this post, Lisa, because my heart was broken....for you and for the dog that ran in front of you. I'm so sorry....
ReplyDelete