Thursday, May 5, 2011

Please Let Me Rant

Norwegian Rosmaling


Many of you have been reading my blog long enough to know that I work for a public library. As the Library Director, I deal with all aspects of running a library.....budget, finances, policies, politics etc. Yesterday, the Wisconsin Joint Finance Committee voted on reducing library funding at the library system level, and also to take away "Maintenance of Effort" for all public libraries in Wisconsin. This will mean our municipality or city will be able to fund us however they please. If they want to take away all of our funding, they will be able to do that. Unbelievable! I truly wish our new Governor would have been working side by side me today at work just to see how important libraries are to the general public.



I wish he could have experienced all the needy, and technically challenged people that I had to help today. I know this will sound like a rant, but every Internet user today needed help in some way......I can't get my document to print......how do I print out my payroll off my employment website.......how to I transfer an eBook to my device.......how do I turn on this computer.......where do I insert my flash stick.......excuse me but can you watch my laptop while I run back to my apartment (my co-worker dealt with that one, geez)......so on and so on. Oh, and then there were all the phone calls!


My body and mind is bewildered to what is going on in our State. I help people everyday, especially people with very little skills. Those are the people that will be hurt by our State government.


Just trying to make sense of it all. Maybe I will be able to jump on the bike soon and not think all this political mess. End of rant...thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. It's a disturbing time in our country and states for so many reasons. You have every right to be frustrated.
    Making our concerns public point out the flaws we see in the direction some politicians want to take us. Keep on ranting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...It's more important to give tax breaks to companies that are thriving and plan to expand (IN OTHER STATES!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're exactly right Chris....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was with yesterday and all the people who needed computer help? Where would those people be with out libraries and us nice librarians...right:) Ha...Ha... sometimes, I have to admit it is hard to be nice when you just want to say...."Get a clue, people." There is my little rant.

    ReplyDelete