Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Giving Thanks Tonight

Healing Garden

While I was driving home tonight from the hospital, I thought, so much of our lives is so insignificant. All those little things in life that we stress over......when it really boils down to it, are we giving thanks for those little things in life? How about concentrating on small stuff like a hug to a person feeling down, a wave hello to someone you know in the community, holding the door open for an elderly person? All of a sudden I realized tonight that it's not about how much money you have, or what kind of car you drive or how big your house is. Life is measured up in how grateful you are for life....the life that God has planned for you.

Bike man is a lucky person tonight. We had a long day today. Angiogram followed by three stents put into two blocked arteries. The hardest news for me today was when the Cardiologist told me that Bike man's main artery was 100% blocked! What? How can that be? In some rare cases this can happen. He's been living with a totally blocked artery for many years. It's a miracle that he's still alive.

So, the heart quickly overcompensates by building a new artery, which distributes the new blood flow from the heart. Well, this new artery also became significantly blocked and that is why he finally showed symptoms of a heart attack. Today, the Cardiologist told me that if the new artery would have reached total blockage, Bike man would not have survived this incident yesterday. The signs were there, but unfortunately missed for common reasons. Tonight, I feel so lucky to have my husband living and breathing. I can't even describe to you the overwhelming feeling I felt when the Cardiologist told me my husband would not have survived the next incident.

I believe what saved his life is the fact that he has always stayed active. Bike riding and racing, running, triathlons, orienteering etc. Words can't describe how I feel tonight. Thank you God, plain and simple.

14 comments:

  1. I am so touched tonight by your heart, and Bike Man's miricles. My thoughts and prayers are with you two. Thank you for sharing in such times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave G. I'm wondering if I need to worry about Bike's man recovery and speed on the bike. The doc told me he should see a significant difference in his stamina and energy level. Not sure I'll be able to keep up with him on the bike when the weather warms up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa! I am so glad bikeman is OK. This must have been really scary. Keep an eye on him and keep him biking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy....thank you. His years of biking has actually kept him alive and too think he was biking all those miles with an artery 100% blocked is just unbelieveable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is precious and fragile. Here's to a speedy recovery and many more happy years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanking God with you. So glad Bike Man is ok. It was nice to see him today at the health mart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom....the doctor ordered him to start working out more on his trainer and then as soon as the spring hits Ted will be back to cycling outdoors again. There's no plans of stopping any bike trips either!

    Jenny...I had just missed you by several minutes. It's good to have Ted home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so...really.. maybe your hot peppers saved his life!! :-)

    glad he is going to be ok.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you and your hubby Lisa. He was sooo very lucky! Hope he is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes to you, Turtle Lady and Bikeman,for a speedy recovery and many more years and miles to come. Bike to live live to bike cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my goodness! God is so good.... Thanking Him along with you for Ted's good news along with the most incredible other cardiac report!

    Your cuz, Marijo

    ReplyDelete
  12. So thankful Bikeman is doing better - I'm always surprised when I hear about someone I consider very healthy to have blocked arteries. I'm really thankful he is recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lisa, Just wanted to say Mom and I are thinking of you. You must have really been scared. I talked to Ted the other day and of course he was very nonchalant. I scolded him and told him to use this as a time to cut back some on his multitude of activities. Hope to see you sometime soon.
    Love Winnie and Mom

    ReplyDelete