Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's a Mystery


I'm convinced I had some mystery illness over the weekend and even the doctor can't figure what I was suffering from. An ultrasound showed everything is normal, which is good, but what the heck was giving me pain and discomfort for three straight days?
I've decided to take a holistic approach and let my body heal by continuing to sleep 9-10 hour nights and eating wholesome foods along with lots of fluids.
It's so easy to neglect our bodies when our lives are busy and active. One of the things I always forget to do is drink lots of fluids after a long bike ride....bad, bad, bad. I think I might just slow down some for the next week and lay off bicycling and then pick it up again slowly. Rest is good.
So what was one of my wholesome choice for dinner tonight? I cooked up a patch of Quinoa (Quinoa is gluten-free) and had it pre-chilled in the refrigerator. When I came home tonight, I added some chopped cucumbers, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives and some feta cheese. In a separate bowl, I mixed the dressing: oil olive, lemon juice, salt, pepper & tarragon. I mixed that into the Quinoa salad.
Then, I scooped several large tablespoons of the Quinoa salad on to a floured tortilla. Before folding the tortilla sandwich, I drizzled some olive oil & balsamic vinegar dipping sauce......oh my, the combination of flavors was terrific. It's always fun to try new foods, new flavors or new recipes. I still have to plug Penzey's spices for cooking and baking. Take a look at their catalog or webpage. Better yet visit one of their stores for a pleasant experience (local stores in Minnesota, Wisconsin & Iowa).


7 comments:

  1. Your dinner is something I'd like to try. Delicious veggies and it's healthy too. Good combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know all about mystery pain. Sometimes rest is the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other then the flour tortilla it sound real good. I don't like tortillas raw. The need to be cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Quinoa. I hope you find out what ails you. I've been taking the same approach to my migraines except the "getting enough sleep" part. I've been trying to eat only whole foods. Nothing pre-packaged with tons of stuff I can't identify. I had a sweet potato night before, and a baked potato last night. I kind of like plain food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you feel better...? I hope that you do since you said that you were treating yourself with a healthy diet, etc.
    Maybe you could be on "Mystery Diagnosis" (I love to watch programs like that....and I like to watch "Dr. G." )....
    I hope that you're better. Take care of you...
    Smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone. I am feeling better...finally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are doing better!

    I always dream that Penzey's would open a store in Eau Claire. Great spices.

    ReplyDelete