Sunday, March 1, 2009

Can't Stop Daydreaming


Another typical cold winter day, but the sunshine felt good.

After church today, I treated myself to lunch with a new friend from Center Point church. I told my friend "N" that all morning I was coming up with a plan of how I could start biking to church on Sunday mornings....when the weather warms up however. The route I would take is very familiar to me because it's the route that follows Tainter Lake to the south into Menomonie, and we bike that route to stay off the state highways. There's only about three miles I would have to bike on highway D, and then I would connect with 2 different secondary roads, which would lead me right to the front door at Center Point. This route takes me through the little village of Cedar Falls, which is where the dam is located that forms our lake. Remember Pine Point Road family members? That's the road I'm taking about. It's a nice road for cruising along at about 16-18 mph....with a tailwind I could ride even faster. Whoo woo!

I must be suffering from spring fever because I just keep planning different bike routes and local bicycle trips in my head. I catch myself daydreaming about it....geez, the snow hasn't even melted yet.

One of the problems we deal with out here in the countryside, is that the secondary roads stay frozen, icy and snowy until about April. Many of our secondary roads are shady. So in past years I've always waited until the middle to later part of April to ride. Ted will sometimes venture out much earlier than me on his road bike.

A few years ago, a cyclist from Menomonie, came by our house riding his road bike in March. Remember all the potholes in spring? Well, this guy made a bad choice. Right down the road from our house, this male cyclist couldn't avoid a pothole and rode right into it. He did an endo...ouch! I just happen to come upon him because I was just finishing with a run and here this poor guy is trying to fix his bent spoke & rim, not too mention the flat tire. I offered for him to come to the house with me and let him use some of Ted's bike tools to fix up the wheel so he could make it back home (12 miles). I'm sure the guy was hurting, but wouldn't admit it to me. Potholes are a cyclist nightmare.


I thought you might enjoy seeing a picture of our Christmas Cactus....this particular close-up was taken by Mr. Green Thumb man!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the flower - any sign of spring (even an indoor flower) looks good to me. We just got 6-8 inches of snow yesterday. I'm looking forward to biking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm daydreaming of my garden.
    It will happen. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for spring either. At this time of year cabin fever starts to set in =). The frustrating thing is that sometimes in Calgary we get huge dumps of snow in April and May... winter seems to go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have come to enjoy Christmas C. I have a white one, but would like to get a colored one like yours.

    ReplyDelete