Do you know what a "playaway" is? A playaway is a audiobook in a device that looks very much like an MP3 player. Playaways are a new format that replaces cds or cassettes. If you are an audiobook user, just imagine not having to fumble around with multiple cds. When library patrons check out unabridged audiobooks, sometimes they will have to deal with 10-20 cd's. The playaway device will eliminate the problem with switching cd's because the entire audiobook is loaded on this small device. The playaway can fit in your pocket! So why am I talking about this tonight? Well, I've decided our library will jump on board and start purchasing playaways for our customers. Technology is amazing. Four years ago I thought it was great that our library was converting to audiobooks in cd format...whoo hoo! Within a few years, cd's will be outdated. I've learned to not scowl about the speed of technology, but just embrace it.
And when the dog eats that? Ha ha ha. It can happen. I think of the books that I have seen come through
ReplyDeletethat are chewed on
Playaway's retail anywhere from 39.99 to 79.00. If your dog eats one of those devices, you're in sad luck. Your better off if your dog eats a hardcover book which retails for $27.95!
ReplyDeleteTechnology is amazing. I remember when cell phones were just beginning to hit the market. We were watching Back to the Future and in the second one (in the future) they had screens by the phones where you could see who you were talking to and that was so amazing and cool. And now, only old people like me don't have camera's on my cell phone. Crazy!
ReplyDeleteI used one of those about a year ago when I reserved something. I really liked it.
ReplyDeleteGlad we are getting some. It did come with the price visible on the outside, so I was extremely careful with it!