Sunday, January 18, 2009

What a Treat!


I know Spam is high in fat, but this is one treat that Ted and I simple close our eyes and enjoy. Did you notice the picture? Spam "hot & spicy"? If you are a Spam eater, you would love this hot & spicy version. Ted special ordered this for me last week from the McIlhenny Company. This is the company that makes Tabasco. Not only did he order the special Spam, but he also ordered extra bottles of Tabasco (miniature bottles too), Tabasco mustard and Tabasco green olives. Do you see a pattern here? Have you finally figured out that I'm a spicy kind of person??? The spicier the better.
So tonight I opened up one can of spicy Spam and made CAMP FOOD! Camp food is a meal that we dreamed up years ago while camping when our kids were little. It's really easy to make and now we make it anytime of the year. Would you like to make camp food? Here's what you'll need:
One can of Spam
Idaho potatoes, scrubbed & cleaned (leave the skins on), cut into cubes
1-2 onions, chopped
1 can corn, drained (or 1-2 cups frozen)
Olive Oil
Wash and scrub potatoes, then dry potatoes with a paper towel. Set aside. Slice spam and cut into cubes, place in a fry pan and brown spam cubes. While spam in browning, slice and cube potatoes. Throw potatoes into the fry pan with the Spam, add some Olive oil. Cover with lid, remember to turn potatoes & Spam very five minutes. When the potatoes are half done, throw in the onions and corn. Continue to stir. Add seasoning of your choice. I used freshly ground pepper and Nature's Seasoning....you can use whatever spices/herbs you prefer. When the potatoes are soft & lightly brown, it is ready to serve.
It's a meal in one, Spam and vegetables...what is better than that?

6 comments:

  1. I like spam too, but we usually make broiled spam and cheese toasted sandwiches, or magooslam. That's where you grate the spam, add grated pickles, grated onions and mayo to mix to a spread consistency. It's good as a cold or hot sandwich. I don't do spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kris told me about magooslam. So I can heat that up and make it a hot sandwich spread?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put it on bread and broil openfaced. Then flip the bread so all sides get toasted. then put a slice of cheese on it and it's all nice and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...spicy spam! I must be heaven!
    Thats a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had spam for a long time. I have sandwiches like PakArt describes. Hot and Spicy Spam sound like its right up your alley. The camp food idea sounds good.

    ReplyDelete