Monday, January 1, 2018

Time To Bake in the New Year

Swedish Cardamom Rolls (Swedish Bullar)

So what do you do on a cold 8 degrees below zero day?  Stay indoors, drink lots of hot tea and immerse yourself in BAKING! One of my favorite things to bake is a buttery cardamom & cinnamon roll. 

One year ago, my friend Caryn, treated me to one of her freshly baked cardamom rolls.  I was hooked on these buttery beauties!  Caryn, who's ancestors were Swedish, has always love to bake and cook favorite foods from Sweden.  After sharing the recipe with me, I believe I made these rolls like three or four times last winter.  I also decided to make a batch last year only using cinnamon since some of my family members are a little shy to the taste of cardamom.  Yes, I do think you have to acquire a taste for cardamom!

Just be aware if you make this recipe, that it's very buttery and rich dough.  This is not your typical cinnamon roll dough.  So, after making a batch yesterday, I edited the recipe.  I redo or edit recipes often, something I just learned from my mother and grandmother.  So now, I've decided it's better to cut your dough strips in 1/2-inch to get a smaller roll.  Of course, you can still cut your strips by 1 inch, but you will just get a much larger buttery roll!!!

If you want to learn the proper technique to shaping/twisting the dough, go to: http://www.fixfeastflair.com/home/2015/2/9/swedish-cardamom-rolls-kardemummabullar-recipe

To find this recipe, click on Turtle Recipes in the top menu.  Give this recipe a try if you love to bake and can devote 3-4 hrs at home.  Stay warm friends and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment