Saturday, March 11, 2017

Swedish Cardamom Rolls (Swedish Bullar)

A friend of mine introduced me to Cardamom Rolls, or otherwise known as Swedish Bullar.  Bullar dough is similar to cinnamon roll dough, but not as sweet.  Bullar dough calls for lots of melted butter and an egg to make it rich and flavorful.  You will find this recipe in my Turtle recipe menu.

After letting the dough proof for one hour, I rolled the dough out on a floured surface to a 20 x 15 inch rectangle.  Softened butter is spread on the rectangle and then sprinkle with a mixture of sugar, cinnamon and cardamom....I used more cardamom than the recipe called for.

Now, just fold the dough over in half!  With the short side of the rectangle, cut 1 inch strips.  I then took my rolling pin and rolled out the strip to flatten and lengthen it. 

Take the flattened strip and coil it tightly around three fingers, tucking in the tail.  You can also use a twist motion if preferred.  I just did a basic coil around the fingers.

After tucking in the tail, I took the coiled up roll and dabbed the top in the cinnamon/cardamom sugar that was left over on the matt.  No need to waste good sugar!!!

I put the cardamom rolls on a parchment lined cookie sheet and proofed another 30-45 minutes in a warm place.  When the rolls are ready to bake, brush each roll with an egg wash and sprinkle with a little more coarse sugar.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! they look truly wonderful. I make a caramel roll that is similar to this, too. Nothing quite like a kitchen filled with the aroma of fresh baked goods!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made another batch of the Bullar dough today, but this time I only used cinnamon and almond paste for the filling instead of cardamom. I wanted to make a batch of buns for my mom, but she doesn't really care the taste of cardamom. I love this dough recipe....it's so tender and has a wonderful butter flavor.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to try your recipe Lisa. They look good.

    ReplyDelete