Seems like the bananas I buy at Aldi's always ripen too fast. When this happens, I usually make a batch of banana bars with brown butter frosting (recipe is listed in Turtle Recipes) and put them in the freezer for special occasions. Well today, I decided to make a double batch of banana bread. The recipe really called for sour cream, but I used our homemade Greek yogurt.....thanks Bike man! To see the actual recipe, check out my Turtle Recipes in the top menu.
On a different note, I had an interesting night playing with a Great Horned Owl! It was 2 am and I couldn't sleep. After laying in bed with my eyes wide open, I suddenly heard an owl hooting in the woods near our house. I couldn't resist and had to get out of bed to find that owl! I absolutely LOVE owls.
I ended up going outside and standing on our deck that faces the lake. It was only 59 degrees and I was barely dressed to stand outside, but I didn't care, who would see me? Very softly, I started calling back to the Great Horned Owl.... hoo hoo, hoo- hoo hooooooo. Then I increase the volume of my call. Within 1 minute, the owl flew in closer to me. The owl called to me, and I called back to him. We did this for almost 30 minutes. The owl kept moving from left to right in the trees, coming in closer and closer. How cool is that? A second owl was calling down the road near my neighbors, but never really heard me.
I had wished I would have grabbed one of our flash lights to see the owl, but I forgot as I was in a hurry to get outside. I didn't really care however, I was just excited to call in my favorite owl.
For years I've practiced the call of a Barred Owl, but this was the first time I called in the Great Horned owl. Isn't it amazing how the small things in life can get you so excited?

Wow! what an opportunity, how blessed you were. And I can almost smell that banana bread.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome Lisa!
ReplyDelete