I actually got to head out for a mid morning run, wow! Look at the mounds of snow alongside the road. The snow is actually taller than me and I'm just under 5 feet tall. The good thing is, it's finally melting, but slowly.
So, the number one thing I found alongside the road today? Beer cans. The funny thing is, I rarely see soda pop cans along the road. You know, it really bothers me that so many people are drinking beer while driving. Why??? And to think that this road is one of our bicycle routes. I also saw a couple beer bottles too. Yikes. Not a comforting feeling knowing people are actually disobeying the law when it comes to drinking and driving....I literally mean drinking alcohol while you're driving. Not a good thing for walkers, runners or bicyclist. I guess the important thing is to always be observant with your surroundings, especially when you're out on the road.
It makes one wonder why beer drinkers so easily litter and not those who drink soda??? I venture to say there are as many people driving around drinking soda as beer......As the snow melts the litter is revealed, and it is vast!
ReplyDeleteI think it all comes down to getting rid of the evidence....beer! So it's convenient to throw the cans out the window and no one will ever know!
DeleteA few years back when I was out running I noticed a considerable amount of cans in the ditch as the snow melted.The first time I took my bike and panniers, but filled them up within two miles from the house. I then took my bike and trailer and picked up cans in the ditches, within a five mile radius of my house. That year I collected 95 lbs and I would have to say 90 percent were beer cans. I have done it other years since. It is really disturbing, it does not take that long to fill a large garbage bag.
ReplyDeleteYes, it is disturbing. That's a great idea to use your panniers to collect the cans. I might just have to do that this spring. Good to see your comment John.
DeleteWhen the snow melts a little more the kids and I will take a walk up and down 40 to clean it up too.
ReplyDelete