Friday, December 7, 2012

Protecting the Land

Winona LaDuke

Bike man and I attended a speaking event last night at UW-Stout in Menomonie.  Winona LaDuke, from the Anishinaabe Native tribe, gave a one-hour talk about environmental issues concerning our planet.  I have to admit I really didn't know anything about her, but many of my co-op friends have followed her environmental activism for years.

LaDuke is the founder and Co-Director of Honor the Earth  and works nationally and internationally on climate change, renewable energy, sustainable development, food systems, and environmental justice.  She is also a Harvard graduate!  I was so inspired by this woman.....really, I mean totally inspired.

In a nutshell, I just want to say I was so interested in hearing about her background as a Anishinaabe native and how she stressed the environmental ways of her people....don't abuse the land....only take what you need.....and give back to the land.

Besides her environmental advocacy, she also works to protect Indigenous plants and heritage foods (seeds) from patenting and genetic engineering (GMO's).  I was also taken back by her basic question.  Do we, as people, want to be around 1,000 years from now?

If you answer yes, then consider taking an interest in our natural resources and protecting the land and water around you.  I think the Native people understood our environment better than the white people!

Note:  Anishinaabe Tribe of Northern Minnesota

2 comments: