Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Joint Effort

Before I tell you about our late day joint effort, I just need to mention that we watched Felix Baumgartner live on TV as he attempted to parachute jump from a capsule 24 miles above New Mexico.....or basically Earth!  I have to say that the three hour effort made me almost ill.  Watching this event live made it all too real for me.  Over and over again I kept saying that if I was his mother or his wife, I just would be an emotional wreck!  Both our sons were here watching with us.....Mike and Chris.  If you didn't watch, please Googe the event and take a look at the video clips.

So, getting to our joint efforts, Bike man and I decided to make stuffed pasta shells  for dinner.  My mom and I enjoyed Spinach Florentine back in September @ my local co-op, so I was determined to make this dish myself......but only use my garden kale instead of frozen spinach. 

I found a basic recipe for Spinach Florentine, but used fresh kale from my garden.  It took some time to chopped it all up, but eventually I sauteed some onion and the kale in olive oil.  In the meantime, I also carefully cooked the pasta shells.  Had to be very careful not to over cook the shells.  I believe I cooked the pastas shells for about 7-8 minutes in boiling water.

While I was busy doing the sauteing and cooking pasta, Bike man put together the filling, which would be used to fill the pasta shells.  The filling consisted of ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, several eggs, chopped fresh Italian parsley, and seasonings, salt & pepper to your taste.  When the kale and onions were sauteed, I added that to the cheese filling.

It was Bike man's idea to add some cooked bacon, of course this is optional.....kind of a man thing ya know?

Stuffed my pasta shells and placed them in a 9x13 inch pan with a small layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Added the remaining spaghetti sauce over the top of the shells.  Then added shredded mozzarella cheese on top and covered in tin foil.  Baked covered for about 30 minutes @ 375 degrees, then uncover and set to broil for about 5 minutes just to brown the top.  This is one of the best pasta dishes I've ever made.  I was excited to finally use the last of my fresh garden kale.  Personally, I prefer kale in this pasta dish rather than spinach.

I will be posting this recipe to my "Turtle Recipes" later tonight.  Thought about you Mom Moo when cooking this pasta dish tonight.  You would LOVE this recipe.   I promise to make this recipe when I come to visit!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, shells stuffed with spinach (kale) covered with sauce...one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful recipe Lisa! I'm going to have to try that!

    Yes, that guy jumping gave me the willies too!

    ReplyDelete