Saturday, December 3, 2011

Delicious

Several days ago Bike man bought some swiss chard. I'm guessing he bought it because it looked so fresh, and so colorful. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've never eaten swiss chard. I decided tonight that I would get adventurous and cook this lovely green vegetable for dinner.

So several weeks ago, I remember my daughter talking to me about swiss chard and she told me to check out a recipe on carpe season blog. That's exactly what I did, and I found an excellent recipe for using fresh swiss chard that incorporates this leafy green vegetable into a flavorful baked dish.


I was amazed at how delicious swiss chard can be. Of course, this is an enhanced way to use this colorful vegetable, but it's so worth the lengthy preparation. I am certain you will love this recipe too. I served the swiss chard dish with a pan fried hamburger....pretty simple!

Suggestion: I did not have goat cheese on hand, but substituted feta instead. I also did not have fine bread crumbs, but did use panko bread crumbs and also used some homemade croutons that Bike man prepared about a month ago. The extra crunch was well worth it.

5 comments:

  1. You are the "goodest" cook, Lisa!
    Hugs and love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Swiss Chard (it also comes in more exotic colors) Beet greens are right up there too along with bok choy (eat it raw in salads or cooked in a number of things besides typical Chinese....then there is Napa cabbage - great cooked and fantastic for wraps ( lasts a lot longer than lettues in the frig and that mild cabbage flavor and crispness is super.

    We take a laughing cow wedge and spread on one napa leaf, ad a could stripe turkey bacon (cooked) and a slice of lean roast beef deli meat... slap another cabbage leaf on top and a low fat, delicious "wrap" happens. Mick used to take these in his lunch all the time.

    Your 'cuz....Marijo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are picking up the kitten at 1 PM today!!!! Mick brought up the subject again and told me to call and find the lady's number... Praying she isn't positive for FIP. Will send photo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have to admit, as nauseous as I am, that doesn't look half bad :) Good for you for trying something new and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you tried it and liked it, and thanks again for the link! I know! I was surprised at how good swiss chard was too, when I first gave it a try. Yeah for trying new things...and the wraps listed by Marijo in the comments sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete