Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Riding Partner

Hot diggity dog, I had a riding partner tonight!!!! A cool 72 degrees and a light wind, couldn't ask for better riding conditions. Saw four cyclists tonight while riding.....wow, our little country folk are starting to understand the benefits of riding a bicycle. I hope they enjoyed themselves like Bike man and me.

So we're coming down this hill outside of Colfax and there is a corn field to my right. When reaching the bottom of the hill, I hear this noise in the corn field. I can't see anything, but we're keeping up our pace and approaching a corner. I hear the corn plants moving again, even louder now. Suddenly I see this big brown animal appear along side me.....she's running! Right in front of me a female deer leaps out from the corn field and crosses the road. At the same time we see momma deer, we see a fawn....the fawn is running too. BM and I never slowed our pace, but kept charging ahead to make the corner. The little fawn was aiming to jump out onto the road and cross between BM and me, however, the fawn hesitated and veered behind BM. Whew, that was exciting! I can't imagine colliding with a deer while riding my bike, but I bet it's happened to many cyclists.

Nice ride in the country. 20 miles

4 comments:

  1. the deer just wanted to join in and be additional riding partners...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That would not have been good to be hit by a deer - big or small! Glad you avoided that :)
    And it sure was a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that would make local headlines....."Local Cyclist Bags Deer with Bike!"

    I wonder if that has happend to anyone? Well glad everyone came away ok and that it was a nice evening ride.

    ReplyDelete