Monday, June 27, 2011

Cooking Tip 101

Does anyone remember what soy textured vegetable protein is? Kind of a big fad back in the 70's. Well, we decided to buy some this past weekend at Mississippi Market (food co-op). I wanted to extend ground beef for making grilled hamburgers.


The hamburgers turned out great. So easy too. For 10 0z. of ground beef, I took 2 heaping tablespoons of the textured vegetable protein and added it to 1/2 cup boiled water, plus 1 tsp. beef bouillon....let soak for 5-10 minutes. Add to your ground beef with some chopped onions and seasonings to taste. Instead of a normal three hamburgers, I was able to make 4 hamburgers! Before serving I topped the hamburgers with swiss cheese and a slice of tomato. Perfectly juicy and moist. I highly recommend adding textured vegetable protein to hamburgers or meatloaf.


Holy cow, were did this wind come from? Came home after work all set to ride the trail with my friend, however, the winds were gusting to over 30 mph....even saw white caps on the lake!! Postpone our ride till Thursday.


3 comments:

  1. You're wind must have come from Colorado - we even have white caps on our bird bath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect your food choices, but why ruin good meat with fillers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like those burgers but don't think hubby would go for the veggie protein filler :)

    ReplyDelete