
Even when I was in college studying foods and nutrition, meal planning, quantity cooking etc., I was always fascinated with making recipes more nutritious, flavorful and cost effective for a family budget. Well, I have finally found a new cookbook that is sparking my interest in wholesome foods and sneaky ingredients.
I am having so much fun with "Double Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. The whole idea of this book is to incorporate vegetable purees into everyday recipes. After all, we all need to eat more fruits and vegetables right?
Last night, I posted a photo of whoopie pies.....see upper right on my blog page. The whoopie pies came out moist and tasty, with a fluffy goopy filling. So what's the secret ingredient in the whoopie pies? One half cup of spinach puree in the chocolate batter. I easily prepared the spinach puree myself. So simple, anyone can do this. They really are delicious.
I also made a pot of chicken soup using a half cup of carrot and cauliflower puree as well. The soup is actually a creamy chicken soup with lots of shredded chicken, rice, onions, celery and additional diced carrots. Adding a little cream cheese makes the soup a nice creamy texture. I hope to post the recipe later tonight under my turtle recipes.
I just finished making a pan of "Three Berry Cobbler", using some carrot puree in with the berries. Can you see why I'm having so much fun? The winter months are long, so I'm passing the time with trying these new recipes. Don't worry, I'm not pigging out on all this food. I'm having fun bringing these treats to work and having my coworkers taste-test. Of course they don't know my secret ingredients....HA! I'll tell them next week!!!!
PS. Well, Auntie Krissy is in on the secret and fun. Hey, the Police Chief asked for a second whoopie pie this afternoon. If only he knew he was eating spinach.......I'm so wicked.
Wicked? No. I would never say that! :)))
ReplyDeleteHi, my friend. I juuuust left a comment on your last blog (I'm late....I'm late....for a very important date....etc.)...and I come to close down the comment section, and my friend has posted again. You are on the ball, my friend. And....I would never ever worry about your 'pigging' out...not with the exercise you do. If only I could get motivated like you!!!
I send another hug to your Mom and Dad... I sent one in my last comment...but you will have to go back a post to find it.
And....I sent you a special thank you!!! I wanted to make sure you got that, too!!!
Love,
Jackie
This is not a good time to be posting about food, even if it is good for you. I'm trying to rid my body of its stores from the holidays.
ReplyDeleteI can say that the whoopie pie cookies and the soup were good.
ReplyDeleteOk, I've used prunes before in chocolate stuff....but spinach? I can't imagine. Too bad I didn't get a taste test of a whoopie.
ReplyDeleteYum, food, always a favorite for me. :-)
ReplyDeletei love her and her cookbooks....i also love being tricky like her :)
ReplyDelete