I never thought I would try eating stinging nettles, but guess again! Several months ago, we featured a program at the library about medicinal herbs. I was surprised to learn that nettles are loaded with nutrients........calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, vitamin C and B. Nettles are also high in protein and amino acids. One of the ladies that attended the program that night told us that she's been cooking with nettles for nearly 40 years, and started using them back in college as a way to up her protein intake. I was astounded. For years, I've been looking for a way to up my calcium intake, but couldn't handle calcium tablets are chews.....they give me intestinal upset!!! Now I've found my answer, besides chewing on Tums.
So tonight, I steamed a large pot of cauliflower and broccoli and sprinkled the nettles over the top. The nettles have a particular greeny taste, which is very similar to parsley, but still different. I was told to use a tablespoon or two in casseroles, salads, salad dressings, and whatever you would like. It will take me sometime to get use to the green herbal taste, but I am happy to finally find something that is rich in calcium.
When I arrived back to work today, I found a jar of dried nettles sitting on my desk. Thanks to the woman who graciously gave me this gift......and she even picked the stinging nettles herself. She told me she's learned a certain trick to picking the leaves without getting stung. As for me? I'll just buy nettles at the health food store for now.
One hour at the fitness center tonight working out on the elliptical. I needed to sweat!!!

geeepers what is next, Poison Ivy Tea :-)
ReplyDeleteI love eating real things, instead of downing a tablet that supposedly has some nutritional value.
ReplyDeleteMr. DG.....oh, the poison ivy post is scheduled for tomorrow. How did you know? Hee, hee!
ReplyDeleteLisa...I'm with MrDaveyGie!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I smiled as I read his comment.
Who would have ever "thunk" it that one would eat nettles!!!!!
Does Ms. Shirley give her approval for your using them to cook with? :))) I'm sure that they must be nutritional...and tasty, or you wouldn't have added them to your dish this evening. (Let me know if you grow thorns or stickers.)
Give my best to Mr. John. All the best to him as he recovers at home. Hugs and much love to all of you. My prayers continue to be with Mr. John and Ms. Shirley...
Love,
Jackie
Thank you Jackie. Mr & Mrs C will be sure to read your comment. Mrs. C is my daily follower. She knows all my blog friends by heart. I have the coolest mom ever!!!!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can learn the trick of picking them and come over to my place and pick them next summer?
ReplyDeleteMaybe you should try them in a salsa so you can hide the "green" taste.
Aunt Krissy...excellent idea!
ReplyDeleteYikes! That sounds very interesting! I can't imagine how it tastes since I can only imagine how much the little buggers sting!
ReplyDeletewho knew ?
ReplyDeleteso how did they taste ?
I have heard of nettle tea, but never felt brave enough to try it.
ReplyDelete