On Saturday October 16th, Bike man and I took off from Eau Claire and headed southwest towards the Mississippi River. The beginning of this trip was a little different for us since we had to drop off BM's car at Anna's house in Eau Claire. From her house we navigated towards Phoenix park, where we picked up the bike trail through the city and then connected with the Chippewa River trail, which took us southwest to Durand.From Durand, we rode the State highway south towards Nelson. The highway was extremely busy with weekend traffic.....crazy traffic I must add.
We finally arrived at Rieck's Lake park near Alma and camped for the night. The weather was beautiful, around 65 degrees, sunny but very windy, which made for a tiring ride that day. Rode about 60 miles the first day.
This is what I saw went I crawled out of our tent. Simply gorgeous. The ducks & geese were all awake and squawking madly. I'm guessing the morning temp at this point was about 35-38 degrees. Brrrrrr!
It was great talking with Chris, and his coffee was excellent! Chris just happens to be a bike enthusiast himself.Now look what he had in his bakery basement. When was the last time you've seen a Lotus road bike? Cool.
We continued on our way. The weather started to warm up, but Bike man and I continued to wear our warm gear until 2 pm. By then we changed to lighter cycling jackets and mid-tights. I don't know, something happened when we reached Onalaska near La Crosse. I think a cool front moved in because by 4 pm the temperature dropped and lots of clouds started to move in. Kinda looked like rain.I just have to say, this was a weird bike trip for me. The first time ever we've experienced crazy drivers, like rude drivers. I'm guessing with so many traveler's out on the road this weekend, we just happened to experience driver's that hate bicyclists. Remember, everyone wants to drive 70 mph, even though the speed limit is STILL 55!
Let's see, we had cars honking at us to get off the road. One motor cyclist yelled at us to get our "f" bikes off the "f" road.....that really scared me! Then we had a car trying to pass another car coming right towards us. He quickly moved in and cut the other car off, but gave us the fingers while driving by. Thanks buddy.
Geez, even this one little kid was a brat and stuck his head out the car window, yelled something at us while pointing his finger out the car window. It was at that point I just wanted to get off the damn highway and get back on the trail.
I told Bike man that there is no such thing as "Sunday drivers" anymore. Our American society has turned into rude, spoiled, and selfish. Simply no respect for others and absolutely no respect for people like us just trying to have a good time while getting good exercise and adding no pollution to our atmosphere. Some American don't understand that concept any longer. It seems like you have to burn fuel to have a good time. What is happening to our society?
Well, besides the hatred actions of motorists this weekend, I did have a fun time. Wish I could have continued on with Bike man, but work is calling me. Bike man will continue on to Baraboo....his final destination for a Lake Leaders conference.
PS. My dad is back in the hospital again from complications of his surgery. Sorry dad, hang in there ok? We love you.
Looks like you two had a wondeful time. Sorry about the asses out there, with you, driving their cars. Cycling is so peaceful, it's too bad that some people try to ruin that.
ReplyDelete1st, hoping the best for your dad.
ReplyDeleteWonderful bike camping and you two are so well organized.
Now about those rude drivers Grrrrrrrrrrr. Legislation needs to jump in and help with laws that promote bicyling, heath and family time well spent. Laws need to be made to penalize rude driver behaviors.
Looks like you had a beautiful camping spot.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how awful people can be...weird.
I,ve ridden that stretch between Nelson and Durand, and will not do it again anytime soon.The number of close calls (what I deem close) and rude drivers was ridiculous. I admire the way you two have the bike camping mastered.
ReplyDeleteHL's....thanks for the support. You are so right, cycling is very peaceful.
ReplyDeleteMr DG....I sure wish legislation would fully support cyclists rights on the road. We have a long way to go.
Hi John....it's so good to hear from you. Not sure if you'll see me on the trail during the week since I'm running out of daylight. Look for me next spring!