Several times a month, I forgo my exercise workout and attend bible study on Wednesday night. Had a deep discussion tonight about wisdom.....having wisdom.......and using God's wisdom in our everyday lives. Something struck me tonight as we went through our hour-long study. My friend, "little Ruth," stayed awake for the whole bible study. Now little Ruth is in her mid-eighties (I think) and for over a year now, I've known her to nod off or fall asleep during our bible study. Sometimes I was worried she would fall off her chair! Well tonight, little Ruth was wide-eyed and talkative for the whole hour. Wow! What was up with that?
I drove little Ruth home tonight and just happen to mention to her that I was proud of her for staying awake for the whole hour. She giggled and said, "oh my, did I really stay awake." She's such a sweet little lady. I shared a few stories with her about my great aunt Elsie that also use to fall asleep sitting in her chair too. We just had the best giggles. I hope everyone can have an elderly friend or two in your life. They really can be a joy and blessing.

Oh good. I have lots of naps to look forward to. :-)
ReplyDeleteI smiled at your blog about Little Ruth....and hope that I can not only stay awake during Bible study when I am in my mid-eighties....but hope that I will be healthy and well enough to attend them able to attend.
ReplyDeleteGood for Little Ruth!!
(I watched a 16 year old boy with his head back on the pew in church tonight...eyes closed...sleeping away...(probably snoring)...and I wanted to go and throw a wadded up piece of paper in n his open mouth! (Very unChristian-like attitude, I know...and I'm sorry....but being honest about how I felt at the moment. (Can you tell I was a 'bit' angry... It wasn't his first 'nap' in church. It seems that he takes one just about every service. Where is his Mother? Sitting beside him. She doesn't seem to notice. I know. I know. I should mind my own business....and I try not to look at him...(for more than one reason...the first reason being is that I get tickled wondering how the pastor can look at him as he sleeps 'dead to the world' and keep preaching with a straight face...(and this young man sits on the second pew from the front....not like he's trying to keep it a 'private snooze' or anything'....and the other reason I don't look at him is that when I do, I'm losing focus on what the pastor is teaching....and that's the reason I'm there. (The sermon is wonderful....not boring....not 'sleep material' at all...it is absolutely a wonderful sermon.
I need forgiveness because I am judging....but your story about Little Ruth stirred something up in me...I vent..and I feel better. :))) Forgive me, Lisa.
I'm going to sleep now; I didn't get any in church tonight!) :)))
Love,
Jackie
Little old ladies rock!
ReplyDelete