Sunday, March 22, 2009

Peace & Rest

How could you not love this face! It kind of reminds me of......well, no one! It's one of those faces that just belongs on a tree. The tree face was a gift from Becca to her dad years ago. The right eye is kind of like a lazy eye, so every once in a while you have to go and adjust the eye (darn red squirrels)!

I didn't get home until later this afternoon from church, and by that time it was already really windy. Ted was out riding the lake loop on his bike, first real bike ride of the season and it was a good workout riding into the east wind. Bravo to Ted for riding the 21 mile route at about a 14 mph pace. You know, spinning indoors just doesn't really prepare you for "real" road riding. There's no comparisons to riding the real thing verses riding indoors. Being on a stationary bike just isn't the same as being on your real road bike. I opted not to ride today.

After hearing today's sermon at church, I was inspired to make this my REST day. We all need rest days to where we aren't thinking about work, household chores, projects etc., etc. But also I mean REST in the understanding of, are you at peace with yourself? Do you not worry about what other people expect you to do, what you look like, how successful you are? True rest means you are happy with who you are and your relationship with God.

Today, I just wanted to be a "nobody."!!! I didn't want to think about my job, my spinning class or biking, my unfinished jewelry projects.....I just wanted to be me....Lisa!


So what makes me happy and at peace? You guessed it...making a batch of oatmeal raisin & chocolate chip cookies. I'm a baker at heart, it's in my blood. I just told one of my co-workers last week that I really do love to bake, but I don't think she believed me because lately I haven't made any baked goods for months. My life as a Library Director has consumed me with projects, meetings, program planning and workshops...leaving me tired and washed out most days.

So, here's the proof in the picture. I really did bake cookies today and it felt good. This is who I am. Just a middle-age woman that finds peace at baking a batch of cookies....plain & simple.

Hebrews 4 1:13

6 comments:

  1. You know, you are becoming a really good writer.
    Mrs Gastin would really be proud.
    Those cookies look great!
    Moose Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your writing today - I've spent two days being sick and thinking about all the stuff I should be doing. why is it so hard to just let the body rest? Mine needs rest. But I keep thinking of laundry, grocery shopping, work tomorrow, etc. I'm going to enjoy my rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plain and simple...nothin' better than that. Do and be what you love. Don't worry about what others think.

    Good thoughts today. Thanks, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you had a restfull day. And maybe you will bring some cookies to work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a "nobody" who loves to bake for years! I struggle to find a balance between my work teaching and the rest of my life as well. Teaching often seems to engulf everything else... I am usually completely spent at day's end. I also love to exercise... but since I had a headcold in January I have been taking one of the longest rest breaks in my life. This rest break is important for the heart. I usually bake banana bread every week. It is like baking therapy... mashing the bananas, and the great smell of it baking. Thanks for all of your inspiring posts... inspiring people are so whether they are resting or busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun. I love cookie baking days! That's a good reminder to rest. I have really gotten into the habit of carving out big chunks of time for physical rest. I wouldn't be able to function otherwise.

    I still have a difficult time resting and trusting God with certain things, one being myself. I'm always combatting the need to 'do' something, that maybe God will love me more if I accomplish a long list of stuff for Him, instead of just being with Him. Resting in who God made me to be is sometimes really hard too.

    ReplyDelete