You know, I'm a softie for bakeries! Softie meaning, I can't resist visiting a bakery any where, any time, any place. It's in my blood-line, especially coming from a heritage of French & German ancestors. On my mother's side of the family, they were all bakers by trade. I still have memories as a small child getting all excited when my great uncle Oscar was coming to visit from Milwaukee. When uncle Oscar came to visit my grandparents, he came with several boxes of baked goods from his Mitchell Street bakery. Wow, that was big stuff for us small-town folks!What fascinates me the most about bakeries is the uniqueness of each one. Every bakery specialized in something...they are know for one super good product and they make it well.
Now I've been in some horrible bakeries too, so they're not all good....I just have to say that. But, when I do find a good bakery, I will go out of my way to make a visit and make a purchase.
I guess my "thinking about bakeries" theme popped up this morning because Ted & I found a new bakery in downtown Eau Claire last Sunday night. Of course it was closed, but we walked by on our way to the Gaelic Storm concert. Ted had to return to Eau Claire yesterday so, voila, he stopped by and discovered they make Morning Buns there...whooo hoooo! Lil Lis was doing a happy dance last night right in the kitchen!!!!!!
So why didn't I take a picture you ask, of the Morning Buns? Ha...their gone, all eatin, no crumbs, no picture! Do I feel the slight bit guilt? NO WAY!
Here's my list of bakeries I like:
Cadott, WI Nice scratch bakery in a small town
Chetek, WI Excellent french donuts, also small town
Eau Claire, WI Marie's Original bakery, delicious french pastries
Bloomer, WI Bohemian Ovens, best kolaches
Bloomer, WI Bloomer bakery, another scratch bakery
Middleton, WI Clausen's European bakery-good Morning
Buns
Baraboo, WI Another smaller European bakery
Ironwood, MI Great focaccia bread & meat pasties
What an interesting blog you wrote today!
ReplyDeleteI sent your blog address to uncle Oscar's daughters so they could see you have fond memories of their folks visits to your grandparents, Jack and Fanny's house.
Their bakery was one block east of Mitchell Street. (10th & Maple St.) They had many dedicated customers who came every day to buy fresh rolls and coffee cakes. This was the custom in the old country. Your sister loved doing that when she lived in Germany those 2 years. She said she still misses that to this day. All you girls grew up loving fresh baked goods. Like you said, it's in our genes!
Owlie and my old friend, Moose Jones
The small town I went to school in had a little bakery. When I could stay the night at a friends house in town, we always walked down to the bakery first before we went to her house. I usually got something cream filled.
ReplyDeleteI tend to stay away from bakeries now because I have a hard time limiting what I purchase and how much I eat.
yummmm.............bakeries. I like them too. I also have the same problem that Cl has. Just one wont do.
ReplyDeleteAlso is the Gaelic Storm they same ones that we have their CD's in the library? Are they a local group?
Gaelic Storm is not a local group. The lead singer of Gaelic Storm was born and raised in Ireland. This group was featured in the Titanic movie and played the upbeat celtic music in the bar scene. Did you see the movie Krissy? We love their music.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the further insight on Uncle Oscar's bakery. You are right, it's in our genes...I just can't help the attraction to bakeries!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI am one of Oscar's daughters. What a nice blog that you have. And what nice things you had to say about our bakery. Did you know that the whole bakery and house was torn down about 2 years ago? I was devastated. There were so many nice memories there. I would like to tell you more about it. Ask your Mom for my E-mail and I will then be delighted to talk to you.
I love good bakeries too, emphasis on Good. I traveled in Europe for 3 months and was thrilled with all the little bakeries in every town. Delicious. And everything was so beautifully made. Not like the goopy round doughnuts Americans are famous for.
ReplyDeleteHi Second cousin! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I wish I had photos of your dad's bakery. I would love to post a picture. Let me know if you have a digital picture. I'll email soon.
ReplyDelete